Pc randomly shuts down and makes beeping noise?

Raj26 21:24 20 Apr 2014

So my computer has been acting really wierd lately. Couple of months ago it was fine but lately it's been shutting down for no reason what so ever. But before closing everything, it makes so many beeps through the speakers not from the system it self. Whenever im typing it writes "bn/ bn/ --bn/ bn/ -bn/ --bn/ bn/ -bn/ --bn/ bn/ --bn/ --bnbn" each bn being a beep. Now I've tried everything down to wiping the whole pc. I got a new cpu cooler thinking it was the cpu. I'm now thinking it may be the motherboard or the Psu but I'd like to ask you if you've ever encountered this problem before? Sometimes, it even starts shutting during the initial boot up.. It goes to sleep before shutting down and when it recovers from the sleep it will have closed everything and shuts down..

rdave13 22:37 20 Apr 2014

Never heard of the likes before. Possibly a safety system of a failing PSU. Modern ones have a system to protect the MoBo I think.

bumpkin 23:44 20 Apr 2014

How about some information about your PC. Make, OS, etc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:33 21 Apr 2014

As you already seem to have looked at the heat issue

next I would try removing and refitting memory or even running a mem test

after that shutting down could be PSU problems.

Raj26 16:13 21 Apr 2014

These are my system specs: + Ram: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance, PSU: 750W Corsair Enthusiast Series 750T, CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition, Vishera, Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO Rev 2 AMD 990X, HDD: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda, GPU: 4GB EVGA GTX 670 FTW + Backplate,

• I have tried the memory test but that didn't seem to fix the problem. It's working fine currently but will crash again soon. I guess I'll buy a new PSU and see if that fixes the problem. :P
  wee eddie 17:45 21 Apr 2014

As with Fruit Bat, I assume that you have removed the dust from between the fins of the processors radiator and checked the airflow through that area, because overheating is what it sounds like.

rdave13 00:23 22 Apr 2014

wee eddie, nah, under rated PSU or a failing one. Not enough 'juice' going to the motherboard. Rails failing.

If the OP keeps faffing around trying various repairs while it may be the PSU then the danger is that when the PSU fails it might take the motherboard with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?