PC randomly hangs with grey screen

bumbleweasle 14:05 31 Aug 2006

Hello! Aside from recently becoming sluggish (possibly due to a lapse in maintenance on my part), my computer has started to randomly drop its display. By this, I mean that the screen suddenly shows nothing but a large grey box with a thick black margin around it. There is a slight distortion in the line between the box & the margin. At first, I thought it was maybe my monitor giving up the ghost as it occasionally has colour issues & sometimes emits a high-pitched whistling sound. I noticed however that keyboard commands to shut the PC down do not work, and I always have to hit the reset button. Things are always fine after a reboot.
Also, I don't know if it is related, but I seem to be getting some kind of strange audio distorion as well. Whilst playing sounds, the speakers crackle every time the CPU light comes on, & if the machine is heavily taxed, the sound comes out slow and/or otherwise distorted with nasty electrical buzz type noises.
This week, having realised I hadn't done any maintenance for a while, I have cleaned out, defragged & virus/spyware checked my PC a few times. I still cannot figure out why A) the system is taxed so much, or B) why the above problems occur.
Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires