PC PSU Fuse Fast Blow or Anti-surge Slow Blow.

Ex plorer 15:07 07 Mar 2007

Hi I have an old Amstrad ALT 386SX laptop I gave a Quid for but it wont power up I have striped it down to find a blown fuse in the PSU there are two in all.
Its a 250v 2amp glass type.
After looking in eBay I see there are two types Fast Blow, and Anti-surge Slow Blow, what should I go for.

Gongoozler 15:38 07 Mar 2007

At a guess I would say that you should use an antisurge fuse. The difference between the two types is that the antisurge will delay a few milliseconds before blowing. That should be adequate for the PSU to exceed 2 amps when power is first applied but prevent it catching fire if there is a fault.

Spark6 15:52 07 Mar 2007

At a guess I'd say you'll pay more for the fuse on eBay than you paid for the laptop, and you'll still have to find the 'fault' that blew the original fuse.

Is it possible to find a 2A anti-surge fuse locally in a repair shop?

spuds 15:54 07 Mar 2007

Try Maplins for advice and possible purchase of the correct fuse.

Ex plorer 16:49 07 Mar 2007

Ok thanks for advice there are a few Doe's and donts when switching the PC on I am hoping this may have been the cause its wort a try as its in its original box with all as if been bought new even a second key board with all different keys to alter.

Gongoozler 16:53 07 Mar 2007

The manual for the Amstrad ALT 386SX is interesting but I can't find any reference to the fuse click here. Look at the markings on the old fuse. If it's a slow blow, then there should be a T to indicate Time delay. As spuds says, you should be able to find the correct fuse at Maplins click here.

Diemmess 17:29 07 Mar 2007

A Slow-Blo fuse like the apparatus it serves is typical of past design.
As I expect you know, the blown fuses are a symptom, not a likely cause of PSU failure.

If you buy what you want, I think they will have a very short life in circuit.

From your description of its almost mint condition, it might be worth seeing what you can find to replace the entire PSU from a used Amstrad.

If you are stuck and can't sell it on, then you can try a Dan Dare approach, and fit anything that will go in up to say 5 amps and keep a hand on the main switch to switch off if you see smoke or signs of fire!

terryf 17:41 07 Mar 2007

The last time I looked at a PSU fuse it was wired (soldered) in and as has been said above, if you replace the fuse and it blows again you are now better off, - new psu??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?