PC Protection & Performance

CantleyCodger 18:06 31 May 2009

As an inexperienced PC user using Windows XP, I am confused about the use of the multitude of programs designed to ensure my PC is protected from viruses, spy-ware, unwanted advertisements, etc and is working at optimum speed. I have installed AVG Free, Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, Adv Disc Cleaner, Glary Utilities, Tune-up Utilities 2008, registry-fixer, Avast Anti-virus, etc. Although I appear to be free of any infections, it still takes quite a while to start up and operate. Do I really need them all, should I delete some of them or try any other programs to provide a good level of protection and help ensure that the PC runs at optimum speed?

birdface 18:09 31 May 2009

Well maybe you should not have 2 anti-virus programs on your computer.

woodchip 18:14 31 May 2009

All I have is AV and Router Firewall, I remove all rubbish before I shut down

woodchip 18:15 31 May 2009

All I have is AV and Router Firewall, I remove all rubbish before I shut down.

pps never had a problem from the days of win95

Technotiger 18:24 31 May 2009

You should definitely never have more than one Anti-Virus - you have two at the moment, this will slow things down considerably and could lead to other problems.

CantleyCodger 21:35 31 May 2009

Thanks for the response so far. Does anyone have any advice on which anti-virus and router firewall is best to use?

woodchip 21:38 31 May 2009

If you are using a Router it will most likely have one built in, It may need activating. You need to go into Router Setup page to check settings

woodchip 21:39 31 May 2009

If you are using a Router it will most likely have one built in, It may need activating. You need to go into Router Setup page to check settings.

PS I use Free Avast
click here

bluto1 21:53 31 May 2009

I love the name. Maybe one day we'll hear it's origin.

All I use now is Avast antivirus(free version)
A squared and Windows firewall. No problems so far. All updated regularly.
I occasionally install and run Sophos Anti Root Kit. Only once, 2 years ago, was anything detected, so after use I uninstall it. I don't like carrying programmes I use only occasionally.
But, I've got a clean computer, ...unless somebody knows different.

skidzy 22:05 31 May 2009

This thread was created exactly for this reason click here

You will need to remove one of your antivirus programs...this is most probably your main culprit for a slow and possibly unresponsive computer.

CantleyCodger 08:15 01 Jun 2009

Thanks again to those who replied to my query. The link to "Safe and Clean Computers 2" by skidzy is particularly helpful. I will try the recommendations and hope these will cure my problems. If not - I may be back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017