PC problems

jimmyad09 21:40 17 Feb 2006

Hi I recently upgraded my PC over a few months. My motherboard is Gigabyte VIA K8M800M Socket 754 MATX. My problem is that on start up, I am told that S.M.A.R.T capability is disabled and the other is that the floppy drive is unable to read any floppies and the drives light remains on. I am unfamiliar with PCs in general so my friend chose all the components and I ordered them and he subsequently put it together and installed Windows XP Pro for me. I am unsure of how or where to sort out this problem. My friend does not know why the floppy drive light is on incessantly and has looked in BIOS and cannot find an option for S.M.A.R.T in any of the menus. As I said, I am not very familiar with the workings of computers and would really appreciate any help anyone can offer, but please take me through your help step by step! Many thanks!

VoG II 21:44 17 Feb 2006

The floppy drive cable is connected the wrong way round. Unplug it from the drive, twist it through 180 degrees and plug it in again.

You will need to go into the BIOS to enable SMART - see your motherboard manual.

VoG II 21:45 17 Feb 2006

Unplug the cable from the drive, twist it through 180 degrees and plug it in again.

wobblymike 21:45 17 Feb 2006

The light on the floppy means that the data cable connecting it to the mobo is back to front turn it round and you will almost certainly cure this one.

SMART capability disabled is nothing to worry about it is simply the ability of the hard drive to advise if ot develops faults - useful but not essential.

wobblymike 21:46 17 Feb 2006

ps once again VoG™ is in there and once again great minds think alike!

jimmyad09 21:57 17 Feb 2006

Thank you very much for your very fast response and greatly appreciated! My friend will have a look at that tomorrow when he's here and I'll let you know how it goes. It's seems all so simple but not really! :D Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?