PC Power/Sleep Issue

George17 21:58 25 Nov 2009

Hi All

Please bare with me if this is a bit long winded.

Since yesterday my desktop seems to be constantly going to sleep (power light on and can hear fan,but HD inactive)while in use and I am unable to reawaken. The only option I then have is to manually restart.

By use I mean watching video on online or running antivirus and not using keyboard/mice. However as long as I keep using keyboard/mice the pc seems to work fine. I have set all the power options to never use sleep to no effect.

The pc in question is Dell Inspiron 545 brought via PC World in October before Win7 came out and I have made the following changes in order set out.

1. 4th Oct.Installed nVidia 9400GT graphics card as pc only had on-board graphics. I didn't go for a higher spec card as the Dell only has 300w PSU. I had read on various threads and was told by a couple of computer shops that Dell used their own proprietary PSU so decided to leave as is.

2. 22nd Oct Clean installed Win 7 64bit without any issues.

3. 23rd Nov. Installed a spare SATA HD that I had from old pc to use primarily to store system backups. I reformat HD and used to create a image of Win7 and backup files. No issues arose.

When computer first started to play up yesterday I thought that maybe I had over taxed the PSU so I removed the 2nd HD however the problem still presists.

Since then I have tried the following.

1. Win7 Startup repair (system retore)
2. Tried using Safe Mode pc still goes to sleep.
3. Full scan using McAfee and Malwarebytes AV. Computer clean except that Malwarebytes found the following registry data. "Hijack.DisplayProperties" "Ref.53169" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mircosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Data: 1)"
4. Used Auslogics Registry Cleaner. found and fixed 126 errors.

Have just tried to perform system restore (from Image & Backup saved on external HD) but computer went to sleep again. Not sure what to try next except clean install Win7 again. Am wondering if I have cause damage to PSU and also GPU as it is very quite compared to before fault. The GPU fan doesn't whirr into action on pc start-up.

Any help appreciated.

Technotiger 22:17 25 Nov 2009

Sounds like a dying PSU to me.

woodchip 22:39 25 Nov 2009

Yes I will Go with That. Why cannot you fit a normal PSU? is it different size or fixing or what? as sometime you can modify stuff like that so a normal PSU would fit

George17 13:39 26 Nov 2009

Thank for advice so far I have contacted Dell and am awaiting reply about what type of power supply they used.

If they are not using a normal PSU then I would not want to risk using a modified one without further investigation. If anyone has any current experience with Dell pcs in this regard or has any other advice on my problem please post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?