PC 'powers down' during AVG or Spybot scan

Barryt 23:44 29 Feb 2008

My PC has started powering down (sort of) after a random number of minutes into an AVG or Spybot scan, and when downloading video from my camcorder.

I say 'sort of' because all the fans stop running and the HDD indicator stops flashing, but the Power LED stays on! I then have to switch off and on again at the mains before the PC will restart.

I thought it was the HDD failing when in high usage, but I've just done a defrag lasting over an hour, which went fine. I did a Spybot scan after the defrag and sue enough, after 5 mins or so the PC powered down as before.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

rossgolf 00:20 01 Mar 2008

wat psu is it?

Peripheral SQL 00:25 01 Mar 2008

couple of years ago installed a wifi card in the desktop
then computer started crashing during scans etc
(mine kept rebooting though)

amongst other issues with the card
it was creating a lot of heat
and the thermal cut out came in
to protect the processor
under high workload

after getting better fans
inc an additional exhaust fan
problem was solved

was glad to get rid of the card though!

click here or click here
will help determine if this might be the cause

simmo08 01:04 01 Mar 2008

in AVG there is an option during scan to shut down the pc after scan, just a hunch but is that unchecked?

Barryt 09:47 01 Mar 2008

Thanks everybody - you've given me plenty to look at and try. All I need now is some time!

What I can say immediately is that (simmo08) the AVG 'Shutdown after scan' is not checked - thanks for the suggestion , and (rossgolf) the PSU is a WINPOWER ATX-450.

9nailer9 09:45 02 Mar 2008

Barryt,
I am having exactly the same problem, have you made any progress in solving it?

dogbreath1 10:00 02 Mar 2008

I had a problem with an XP machine running hot. Scans with Avast, a-squared and Ad-Aware would all force a power down rather than a crash. I installed Motherboard Monitor which showed the machine running at 58 degrees C when not under load. The scans would increase this temperature to 63 degrees C causing a power down.

A good cleaning out of dust and a fan replacement solved the problem.

Barryt 10:57 07 Mar 2008

Red face here! Checked the CPU temperature - 84degC. Cleaned the heavy dust off its heatsink - temperature now 66degC and no power-downs. Thank you everybody for your helpful suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?