pc power fault

Lady Lara 16:39 14 Mar 2007

my pc sosmetimes powers up (ie. the fan starts but it does not boot) sometimes the fan doesn't even start although each time the mobo led light is on so power seems to be getting through...

CPU or Mobo error? I have tried different PSU, Hard Drive, RAM and graphics cards but still the same tempramental power thing.

Anyone please ?

woodchip 16:42 14 Mar 2007

I would first try another PSU, if the one you tried was not a new one. If it's not that it's got to be the MOBO

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:46 14 Mar 2007

weak PSU would my my first choice.

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

Lady Lara 19:01 14 Mar 2007

Not a psu problem as a 500w atx that is in my pc was placed in the problem pc to replace 400w and still the same.

must be mobo then

woodchip 19:28 14 Mar 2007

Does the Computer beep at all? as it ever beeped?

Lady Lara 20:15 14 Mar 2007

no beeps... ever

woodchip 08:57 15 Mar 2007

Then there is no internal speaker. as it would have given an indication on what was going on. you can or should be able to connect one. pins are bottom right corner of motherboard the speaker pins will be marked something like S/K other wires go to these pins as there is others from front of computer like start and reset button. With a Computer that as a speaker, one beep means that comp checks what is called power good. If more then these can and do mean different things. connecting one may save buying a new mobo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?