PC to PC international phone calls

VNAM75 21:49 29 Oct 2006

I've heard that 2 PCs with a microphone and sofware each, it is possible to make international phone calls via the broadband/internet line. I want to be able to call China and possibly US (via the PC).

Has anyone tried this?
What is the quality like?
What software do you need?
What if one PC has a dial up connection only?

Technotiger 21:51 29 Oct 2006

Yes, it is easy all you need to do is download Skype , a free program, as long as your friends have the same program.

Technotiger 21:51 29 Oct 2006
  Technotiger 21:52 29 Oct 2006

plus, if you both have webcams you can also see each other.

VNAM75 21:54 29 Oct 2006

Thanks, I've heard of skype before but couldn't remember.

sicknote 21:54 29 Oct 2006

Use this service click here all the time for calls to finland and australia via PC to landline calls and PC to Pc.Easy to install and setup !!

anskyber 21:54 29 Oct 2006

I've tried Windows Messenger and Skype. I have found Skype to be by far the best.

If you have a web cam you can see people as well, audio only is very good. I have contacts in the USA and Australia.

Its OK on dial up for audio but there can be delays.

Vangeliska 21:57 29 Oct 2006

Tesco InternetPhone lets you make free calls if the other person also has the same equipment or you can call from your PC to a landline or Mobile for approx 2p per minute. (USA and China)

Tesco Headset w/ mic £4.97, corded phones (USB) £14.97 and £19.99 or Cordless for £39.97

VNAM75 22:04 29 Oct 2006

Thanks, the Skype programme looks really good. Will give it a try.

Stuartli 22:19 29 Oct 2006

Apparently many of the Asian call centres use Skype.

I use Skype for video-conferencing sessions with my daughter in the Caribbean - good webcam picture and sound is excellent using a headset.

However, study the Skype Help page with regard to configuring your system on the sound side:

click here

Some of the advice is unexpected, to say the least, but works.

Miros 22:23 29 Oct 2006

With Voipdiscount you can use your PC to phone landlines throughout most of the world click here
Obviously Pc to PC also.
Australia, USA, Canada, Europe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone