PC password how to find?

aine 21:28 01 Oct 2008

Recently I had to work in the DOS screen, It asked me for my password? On setting the PC up, I do not remember setting a password, I tried various words, none were acceptable. Could anybody please tell me how to find the password? I have tried SIW that only show "outlook express",which is wrong because in Vista it is windows mail, also it show my yahoo passwords. If anyone can help I would be very grateful. Regards Aine

birdface 21:38 01 Oct 2008

Can you open it in safe mode.

grey george 21:38 01 Oct 2008

What were you trying to do in the dos screen that made it ask for a password?

aine 22:10 01 Oct 2008

I can open the DOS screen as normal, A colleague of mine was talking me through a problem concerning, using a Zyxel router and vista, there is a compatibility problem, with some routers and this OS.One of the things he had to do,required the password of my PC. He got around this by other means ,which I cannot remember how he did it. What I would like to do is recover this alleged password for future reference. Regards Aine

grey george 22:27 01 Oct 2008

From what you say it may be that there is no password or else you would have had to use it. If this was related to a router problem it may have been a network password or even the password for your isp that was requested. Could you ask your colleague what the password was for? Could just be your vista admin logon password.

lynken 23:20 01 Oct 2008

Hi, sorry but what are you trying to log in to. vista, network server, local machine etc

aine 15:15 02 Oct 2008

Thanks for your replies, we where in the DOS window, the window requested the PC password,I tried two or three possible ones, but the returning answer stated these were incorrect. This would indicate to me that there must be a password of some kind. It would appear that the password required, is the one used during the original PC setup. Regards Aine

birdface 15:32 02 Oct 2008

Anything on here help.It's a bit complicated for me.click here

Belatucadrus 17:31 02 Oct 2008

Do you mean a BIOS password ? click here
Some MOBO manufacturers stick them on by default.

wis 19:35 02 Oct 2008

buteman,
first response can you open in safe mode

wis 19:37 02 Oct 2008

if you can answer buteman

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?