PC or Laptop? Which is best?

oo7juk 14:12 29 Mar 2006

Hi there,

I have always had a stand alone PC but with space in house becoming smaller I was thinking of changing over units. I use my PC mainly for the net and gaming, I have a good graphics card at the moment and always thought that laptops couldn't compete when it came to gaming due to the size of Graphic cards.

Many thanks.

rmcqua 14:30 29 Mar 2006

Laptops graphics capabilities have come a long way over the past couple of years, to the extent that a good laptop can be used for most games. However, I think the officianados will tell you that for the very best performance with the most recent games you still need a good desk top + graphics card, with a quality monitor to match.

wee eddie 14:30 29 Mar 2006

Stick with PCs.

Laptops can do almost anything a PC can do, but an equivalent PC is between 30% & 50% cheaper and there is always the possibility of an upgrade, which is not available on a Laptop.

Belatucadrus 14:34 29 Mar 2006

Horses for courses, while laptop graphics chips are now much better than they were, they don't keep pace with the die hard gamers PCI-E cards. Most laptops graphics can't be upgraded as the chip is onboard and those that technically can be it's largely theoretical as nobody stocks the upgrade componants.
For most people the balance appears to be shifting towards laptops:- the price difference is shrinking rapidly, the systems are much more capable than they were and they are by definition more space efficient and neater.
But upgrades are still next to impossible, repairs are expensive, ergonomics second rate and the space saving will always be limited hugely by the clutter of peripherals like scanners, printers, pen pads, joysticks etc.
As always a personal choice.

oo7juk 15:55 29 Mar 2006

Many thanks, you have confirmed my initial thoughts.Will stick with desktop PC.

Regards.

tommagumpi 17:30 29 Mar 2006

I use a desktop pc for all work & games and my laptop for testing software, going on the net (like sitting in front of the telly)and for doing course work on.

Laptops do seem to get a lot hotter!

Pineman100 17:53 29 Mar 2006

If you compare a desktop and a laptop with pretty well identical capabilities, the laptop will invariably be more expensive.

I also have some concerns about heat generation in a laptop. OK - the manufacturer knows a squillion percent more about how to build his product than I do, but the fact remains that fast modern processors do generate a lot of heat that needs to be efficiently dissipated. It's much easier to do this in a nice big desktop case than in a squeezed-together laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache