PC or Console for games???

jake2 09:53 23 Mar 2005

What technology do the likes of a ps2 or xbox use for graphics? Do they use something simlar to a graphics card?
Also when a game is available for pc and console are the games different as far as gameplay go's?

happy dragon 10:25 23 Mar 2005

a x-box in a way is like a pc and has the following components
a Processor Type Intel Pentium III 733 MHz
Memory / Storage
RAM installed size 64 MB
Cache size 128 KB
HDD Capacity 8 GB
Video Output NVidia Xbox GPU 256-bit 2D/3D graphics acceleration
Supported Video NTSC S-Video Installed, Component video Installed, Composite video Installed
Max resolution (external) 1920 x 1080
Graphic Effects Shadows, Fog effects, Pixel Shaders, Vertex Shaders, Texture lighting, Bilinear filtering, Trilinear filtering
Fill Rate 4000 million pixels/sec
Memory
Max supported RAM 64 MB
RAM technology DDR SDRAM
Audio
Audio Processor NVidia Xbox MCP
Sound Output Mode Stereo
all for £100 approx seeing that if anyone cant afford a pc then for the price of a console it is not that bad if you hav,nt got loads of memory good graphics card a fast cpu and would need to upgrade your pc in order to play some of the latest games then a games console is a good choice and cheaper option

jake2 11:58 23 Mar 2005

Thanks, I was just wondering how far ahead of my pc the graphics on an xbox or ps2 were. If they used the same sort of technology. The only difference seems to be the grphics card being 256 whereas mine is a 128. I take it that the consoles dont allow for any reduction of detail as can be done on a pc?
Are most games the same on the pc as they are on the console, or does the fact that most pcs have far more memory than a console allow them to have more options?

The Ghost of Inept Pig 15:53 23 Mar 2005

Hi Jake2,

You're right is assuming that console games have no option to reduce settings - what would be the point? Consoles are of a set specification - you don't tend to get higher/lower powered X-Boxes and PS2s - they all run at the same speed (unless you tinker with the innards - not really the done thing though).

You can get consoles cheaply at this point, as the next-generation is currently in production - you can even pick up a Gamecube for a mere £45! A bargain if there ever was one...

As for comparisons between titles that are on both PC and Console, it varies from game to game - sometimes the PC version is 'dumbed down' and suffers for the fact that it's been produced at the same time as the console game - But Mafia (for example) is much better on the PC than either of the console versions. Also, first person shooters (Half Life 2, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty) are all much better on the PC...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?