PC only boots up when cold!

missjosy 16:12 28 Jan 2006

OS 98SE P3 550Mhz

For the last three or four days, I find that my PC will not reboot.
I have tried switching off the power at the wall socket, then waiting for a little while, and switching the power on again, but still there is no PC activity. The screen remains black and blank. Frequent attempts are to no avail.

However, if I leave the machine for a few hours, and power it up, it starts up in the normal way!

Any ideas as to why it behaves normal with a cold start?

Gongoozler 16:24 28 Jan 2006

The most likely, and probably the easiest to cure, is that the power supply has failed. I've using an Ebuyer Extra Value PSU for about 2 years with no problem, so I suggest you try something like these click here..
With a 550M processor 300W should be enough and 400W would give an extra margin of safety.

missjosy 16:35 28 Jan 2006

Hi Gongoozler.

I guess that PSU's are fairly compatible with most PC/s ?

Gongoozler 16:54 28 Jan 2006

As long as your computer is a standard format ATX or Micro ATX, then it should be OK. The PSU will be screwed into the back of the computer case with 4 screws, and will connect into the computer with an ATX connector and a multitude of drive connectors. These days PSUs also have an extra 4 pin 12V connector which will not be needed in your system.

missjosy 17:06 28 Jan 2006

I appreciate your help Gongoozler.

Gongoozler 18:35 28 Jan 2006

Hi missjosy. You have ticked this thread as resolved, but please post back here to let us know how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?