PC only boots if I disable CPU Cache

boing 10:45 26 Mar 2007

I have a five year old MESH PC (XP Pro SP2) with an ASUS A7V8X motherboard and AMD Athlon XP 2400+ cpu. After working fine it now refuses to boot. It only gets as far as the 'boot menu', and any option, including safe mode will not work. It will not even boot from floppy and even booting from the Windows setup cd fails.

After much trying, I eventually got it bring up Windows after I disabled cpu level 1 cache in the bios. It is unusable in this state as windows runs really really slow.

What is going on here - has the cpu had it ? Before you ask, no I haven't overclocked it and it hasn't overheated.

Is there anything else I could try before I condemn it to the bin ??

birdface 11:08 26 Mar 2007

Can you try system restore,or last good configuration.

brundle 11:11 26 Mar 2007

memory test; click here

brundle 11:19 26 Mar 2007

Turn off all other boot devices and set them all to Floppy, disconnect some hardware to see if the power supply is struggling, remove all hardware including memory, switch on and listen for beeps, replace memory, video card, switch on again...process of elimination..

boing 13:17 26 Mar 2007

Many thanks for your suggestions.
buteman - 'last good config...' doesn't work - and can't get as far as restoring.

brundle - have tried changing power supply with a good one - no change. I'll try your suggestion of removing the memory etc.. and see what happens.

boing 12:08 28 Mar 2007

Problem fixed - well sort off.

I removed all the memory cards and then replaced them one by one after each boot. After lots trying, I have deduced that all the memory cards are OK, but two of the 'slots' no longer work. The 3 slots originally contained a 256, 256, 512. Now only slot one works. If I try and put another memory card in one of the other slots the 'no-boot' problem comes back. Although they all work if placed individually in slot 1.

What caused this ? - I have no idea. Anyway thank you for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?