PC not switching off

CasperB 20:52 18 Jun 2006

Hi.

I have a problem that my pc is not switching off. Shutdown in windows only restarts the pc. I have read other threads but with no luck. The problem even persists when pressing the power button for 5 seconds. This switches the pc off, but as soon as I release the power button, it switches back on. I have tried every possible BIOS setting. Please help.

SANTOS7 21:03 18 Jun 2006

click here
Assume its XP, process of elimination i'm afraid..

SANTOS7 21:04 18 Jun 2006

click here
this may help as well..

CasperB 21:20 18 Jun 2006

not working. I have already tried all XP solutions. Even if I disconnect my HDD, the pc will not switch off if I press the power button, it only "resets". I have even tried swopping the power and reset switches with no luck. The 5 second power problem tells me it is something different.

skidzy 21:33 18 Jun 2006

Casper have you tried a repair ? I guess you may have tried this but thought i should mention it.If not...you will need your windows disc.

Im pretty sure this is a registry value issue.I may be wrong and stand to be corrected.

Hope this helps.

skidzy 21:34 18 Jun 2006

click here ...sorry forgot the link.

SANTOS7 21:38 18 Jun 2006

might be something to do with auto updates.

# In the Start Menu go to Run type “gpedit.msc” and press Enter
# Now a Group Policy editor will open. In this window navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Template -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
# Double click on No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations
# In the settings window Choose Enabled and click OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?