PC not starting; Memory fault?

Davy-lad 21:15 29 Jun 2005

PC refused to start after working OK for over a year.Single repeated beep from unit. Internet search suggested memory problem.Removed & refitted both sticks of 256Mb PC2700 DD333 memory. No better. Remove one stick only & PC works fine! It doesn't matter which stick I fit or in which slot,PC works ok.If I fit both back together PC refuses to play! Does this mean one memory module has a fault & they are not compatible together or is it more likely a motherboard fault?(or something else entirely!)I would happily upgrade memory if I thought this was the answer.

stalion 21:23 29 Jun 2005
  madPentium 23:55 29 Jun 2005

if you remove a stick and it works, it has to be the memory. Strange how they work independantly but not together, but it could be one has developed a timing problem. This means they will work seperate but not together.

I would change them both, but get a decent make of memory. There are cheap ones out there which are nasty, and to be on the safe side get it all in 1 stick this time.

ashdav 00:11 30 Jun 2005

click here download this and copy to floppy.

ashdav 00:14 30 Jun 2005

run it with each stick in turn then both together. I had the same problem recently. It was caused by having 2 rams of different makes getting out of sync on memory intensive programs. Each worked fine on their own but together there was a conflict.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie