PC not starting up

s99Raj 20:42 17 Jul 2006

I have a computer with an Asus A7V8X motherboard. When I switch it on I get nothing on the screen and hear no beeps. The PSU, CPU and case fans all spin OK.

I've tried changing the power supply and resetting the bios on the maniboard but am still stuck with the same problem.

Any suggestions please?

Chris147 20:48 17 Jul 2006

Come in s99Raj, your time is up...

Sorry Raj, bad news. Your motherboard has died.

It's possible the graphics card is down (you need to check out the beep codes for your board - or lack thereof), but 99% of the time it's the main board that's down.

Sorry :(

Chris.

Gongoozler 07:42 18 Jul 2006

If you don't even get a POST beep, first try reseating all the connectors. If that doesn't help then you will have to determine which hardware component by elimination. First unplug all the drives - hard drives, optical drives and floppy drive. Still no POST, try unplugging all the PCI cards. Still no POST, remove all the memory, you should then get an error beep. Next try the graphics card, this should also give an error beep. Finally disconnect the front panel connectors except the power switch and case speaker, and unscrew the motherboard from the case and stand it on a sheet of card to isolate it from the case. If you still have no POST beep when the only remaining components are the motherboard, processor and PSU, then one of those is faulty.

s99Raj 10:00 20 Jul 2006

Thanks for that, Gongoozler.
Very comprehensive guide!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017