PC not shutting down

The Teacher 11:11 10 Nov 2010

I have developed a problem in that my PC won't shut down properly.

I can do the "start, shut down" bit witout a problem, the PC will then go through the shut down process but then I get the blue screen with "Windows is shutting down" on it, but it doesn't then actually power off. I haven't installed anything recently that perhaps could cause this and all scans etc., are coming up clear.

I have to switch off with the button on the tower, BUT unlike doing a forced restart, I don't then get the disk check etc., when I restart the PC, just normal start up.

PC is WinXP Pro SP2

Many thanks

The Teacher

Les28 14:52 10 Nov 2010

In addition to l24's advice, do you get any errors at shutdown time showing in the Event Viewer's Application Log?

Bring up event viewer by clicking on Start button, then Run, type eventvwr in the Run box and click OK, then single click on Application in the left hand pane and search in the right hand pane for errors at shutdown time. Double click on any error records to see more details. Look for errors saying "Windows saved user User_Name registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use." Event ID numbers 1000, 1500, 1517, 1524.

Sometimes installing the MS User Profile Hive Cleanup service works, if getting these Event ID numbers and this kind of error Description. Explained here

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 10 Nov 2010

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

The Teacher 18:05 10 Nov 2010

Thanks Guys, only thing I haven't done from the above is the disk check. I have checked the event viewer and there are no errors at shutdown.

Reason I am on SP2 still with SP2, I24, is that when I installed SP3 it took the PC to the "hamster in the wheel", i.e. slowed it down so much that I had to uninstall it.

Will do a disk check and let you know.

The Teacher

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?