PC not recognising Printer

KM1950 12:37 17 Jan 2008

My opperating system is XP Home Edition and the Printer an Epson Photo R265.

Everything was working OK then suddenly the printer stopped working. I have, since, run the printer on another PC and it is fine so it must be a communcation proble between the PC and Printer. I beleive the problem is arises from my deleting some programmes from the start menu, to speed things up a bit, but I can't remember what I deleted or how to get back into it.

System restore has been turned off so I can't use that.

I have used C-Cleaner to remove any traces of the printer from the machine and have tried to reinstallit from the Epson CD. But I get a message saying "there has been a problem and it may not work" they are right it doesn't.

I have also downloaded new drivers from the
Epson site.

The PC knows its there because when I plug it in a message comes up in the bottom left of the screen to say it is installing it. If I try to install it from "Printers and Faxes" in control panel the PC will only look in the Printer Port but this is a usb printer and the drop down list does not show that or offer an option to browse or write it in.

I have reached the point of reinstalling Windows unless someone can resolve this for me!

SANTOS7 12:54 17 Jan 2008

The most common cause of this is the printers drivers for the parallel port have been installed by mistake.

When you insert the Driver CD (from Epson, HP etc) the autorun utility may automatically try to install the software for the parallel Port.
If you want to connect the Printer by USB it is IMPORTANT NOT TO INSTALL THE SOFTWARE IN THIS WAY.
If you have installed any printer software then please remove it before proceeding.

To install a USB printer (this has worked for all printers that we come across so far)

1. Power Up the printer without the USB cable plugged in (but plugged into the PC).
2. Connect the USB cable into the printer and windows should pick up the device.
3. When asked for drivers - browse the printer driver CD for a directory called Win9xUSB (or something similar) .
4. When the Printer USB drivers have been installed it will automatically pull in any printing software required.

KM1950 17:47 17 Jan 2008

Hi Santos7

Thanks for your advice but I still can not get this to work.

I followed your intructions, i.e: - USB in PC and printer on, then plugged into printer.

Found New Hardware Wizzard sprang to life. Clicked install from specific location but the nearest I could get to "E\Epson\Common\9xusbsys" was E\Epson (it would not allow me load anything more specific).
I ran it from E\Epson and ended up with a messsage saying "An error occured during the installation of the device, the specific port is unknown"

The 9xusbsys folder contains 5 files: - 3 dll, 1 sys and 1 uninstall.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Ray5776 18:20 17 Jan 2008

Hi Keith,
does the printer show in device manager?
If the printer is working and also the USB port then this has to be software. Missing or corrupted driver or something interfering with it. Stick with this site and wait for the clever guys.

Ray

Ray5776 18:27 17 Jan 2008

Hi Keith,
does the printer show in device manager?
If the printer is working and also the USB port then this has to be software. Missing or corrupted driver or something interfering with it. Stick with this site and wait for the clever guys.

Ray

SANTOS7 18:36 17 Jan 2008

have a look in device manager and see if there is any conflict with USB controllers...

KM1950 18:48 17 Jan 2008

Hi Ray, Santos

At the moment the printer does not show in device manager or Printers and Faxes. But I did uninstal it with C-Cleaner and have not be able to reinstal it since.

Device manager/USB controllers shows one USB printing support (USB2.0 printer (hi-speed)properties says it is working properly.

SANTOS7 18:57 17 Jan 2008

If you USB ports work with other items plugged into them i can only suggest it maybe the cable....

KM1950 19:18 17 Jan 2008

I have tested the USB port with a flash drive, I can write to Word documents in it, and I used the cable when I tested the printer on another PC which worked OK.

SANTOS7 19:47 17 Jan 2008

puzzled now..

could try this go to device manager uninstall USB devices, reboot PC and try again...

Ray5776 20:05 17 Jan 2008

OK, shut PC down, plug the printer into another USB port and reboot. If you have another cable then use that. The printer should show in device manager even if with an error symbol.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone