PC not firing up

eedcam 18:17 07 Sep 2007

Now and again when I start the pc it gets through the first and asecond beep to NVram check then windows doesn't start. Sometimes powering down and starting again works but to dy it took about 4 hours a 3or 4 attempts . before I call in the doctor any suggestions as to what may be the cause so I might know what he is talking about
Thanks

brundle 18:31 07 Sep 2007

Could be PSU problem, RAM problem, hard drive problem.

Do you get any problems when Windows has actually loaded successfully?

RAM test; click here
HD tests; click here

brundle 18:32 07 Sep 2007

If AMD, a CPU that has overheated to near burn-out in the past can produce what you describe too

Quiller. 18:36 07 Sep 2007

it could be that the hard drive is not spinning up fast enough. Look in the bios for something like quick boot, set this to disabled.

If you can't find this setting, post back with the make and model of your motherboard.

what this will do is to perform a longer memory check and give your drives a chance to get up to speed. If this stops the problem then do a full drive check.

eedcam 18:50 07 Sep 2007

Brundle no probs when running and this only happens infrequently. I'll have alook at those tests but never happy with these things I'm on an intell P4
Quiller as far as I can tell Motherboard is P4M800PRO-M478 and the manual just says Elite group bios is nogo area for me I'm afraid

Pamy 18:58 07 Sep 2007

I spent nealy all of a day trying to boot mine up and finally in frustration I gave it a thump and it booted up. Now I AM NOT suggesting that you do the same, but when you find out the cause please let us know.My boot up problems were very similar to those you have described, constant freezing befor and at the Windows splash screen.

eedcam 19:02 07 Sep 2007

Pamy I worked in the chemical industry an also a power station there was a rubber mallet beside the control consul for finr tuning

Quiller. 19:33 07 Sep 2007

you do have a setting for quick boot.

it's very easy to do.

start the computer and keep pressing the delete key.

Go to the advanced setup page. click here change the first setting to disabled, press the F10 key to reboot the computer.

thats it!!

woodchip 19:35 07 Sep 2007

As it takes more than one beep you have a Memory Problem. If you have more than one stick of memory just use one of them, try different slots and change sticks to see if the problem goes away

eedcam 19:46 07 Sep 2007

Thanks quiller by nogo I meant I wont go there not my Forte. Wood chip always been two beeps one for the main startup and one for nvram but problem is recent

woodchip 19:49 07 Sep 2007

You should not get any NVRAM.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone