PC + New HDTV = Weird Problems!

JMoody1988 08:23 11 Nov 2008

I finally caved in a few nights ago and bought my first HDTV for my bedroom. I figured I could now watch Hi-Def and replace that horrid CRT monitor for my computer. But anyway here is the TV I got:

Insignia 19" HDTV 720p (1440 x 900)
1 HDMI
1 CATV Cable (also works for antenna and HD Tuner)
1 Component
1 Composite
1 PC (This is the only input I'm having issues with.)

Every input looks vivid and wonderful. Great purchase. But when it came to the PC hook up, now I'm having issues.

I hooked up the monitor to my PC with the following GENERAL specifications:

AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.2 ghz
2GB Ram
ATI Radeon 9550 256MB AGP Card with VGA and S-Video Out.

I used a VGA cable to plug the PC into the TV.

On 800x600 and 1024x768 @ 60hz, the display is fine, but as a 4:3 Ratio only. But upon switching to 1440x900 the max and only actual 16:10 widescreen resolution, the image jitters up and down and every 5 minutes the screen will go black for 3 seconds and return to the display, repeating this process time and time again.

I have the latest drivers, as well as the correct resolution and hertz setting. I also tried this TV at best buy on a work computer with no problems. Even with letting the TV "auto config" the display for the pc on 1440x900 does not resolve the issue.

And one thing that boggles me is that there is a setting in the VGA settings on the TV called "PHASE" - What the heck does that do?????

So ultimately, is my video card not compatible with 1440x900, is the TV bad, or do I need to do some specific settings to the TV to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Justin

Technotiger 08:52 11 Nov 2008

Have a look at

click here

Or, you might simply need a VGA to HDMI adapter plug,

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie