Pc Needs Reformatting, but No O/S Disk

Sheps 15:35 30 Dec 2009

Hi ya Folks,
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out here...My desktop pc (Ei Systems) from pcworld, has got a problem, which i think is a virus...So I want to get it reformatted so i will no longer need to wait 20mins to connect to a website lol...Now this desktop came with vista preinstalled, same as my laptop, now I dont know if I make a recovery disk, does this disk hold the O/S as well as the drivers etc etc....
Only I dont want to make a recovery disk/s and then reformatt and then find out i've not got the Vista on disc, dont you think its bad that you buy a system with a O/S but they dont give you the disk ???
Well I hope someone can shed some light on this for me, Many thanks In Advance.
Paula (Sheps)

Technotiger 16:51 30 Dec 2009

You probably don't need to re-format, if you tell us more about the problem we may be able to help. What makes you think you might have a virus? Have you run any Anti-virus or Anti-Malware programs at all?

GaT7 16:54 30 Dec 2009

Somebody might suggest a clean & repair, etc. But if you decide to reinstall afresh....

To reinstall afresh, you will need a Vista disk. Borrow a Vista disk from someone, e.g. relative/friend/neighbour. It should be the same version as that which is installed on the desktop: Basic for Basic, Home Premium for Home Premium, etc.

Before attempting a reinstall, first locate & save your Vista product key. This should be on a sticker on the case (it will look like this click here). If not, use the free Belarc Advisor (BA) click here (or one of the other freebies from click here). Save the BA report on to removable media (like a USB flash disk), & also make a careful written note of the product key.

Then do a thorough backup of all your data, emails, media, etc on to another hard disk or removable media.

Next, use the borrowed disk to reinstall afresh with the product key you saved earlier (click here for a step-by-step guide if required). After installing Vista, install all necessary Windows updates & an antivirus program (AVG, Avast & Avira have free versions) & update it.

Finally, copy/import all your data/emails back after running them through the up-to-date virus scanner. G

Graphicool1 17:05 30 Dec 2009

Before you take the 'No Going Back' plunge, that Crossbow7 has layed out for you. Step back a moment and try the easier option first. Listen to Technotiger. Give us more information on your OS, your problem and what makes you think you have a virus.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 30 Dec 2009

you need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.
Windows Installation Disk
NOTE

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the following set of recovery options

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

Pre-Installed Options
NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

sidecar sid 17:38 30 Dec 2009

Tapping the F10 button during start up may give you a restore option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?