PC off but mouse still on?

May the Schwarz be with you... 16:38 28 Mar 2004

Hi, I recently assembled a new Shuttle SN45G barebones system. Everything is working ok except that even when my PC is shut down, the red light on my optical mouse is still on! It's dim when it's not moving and when glows when I move it, like it normally does when my PC is on. Is it something in BIOS which causes this or is it a motherboard fault? I hope it isn't the latter because I have had enough with Royal Mail and parcel services (for losing stuff in the post and taking forever to send stuff) and don't want to send back anything. I ordered my Shuttle SN45G of microdirect by the way. However, I haven't yet formatted my hard drive and about to do so since I have changed quite a lot of components around in my PC. Once I install all the necessary drivers for my motherboard, would this solve my problem? Or is it a problem outside of Windows which can only be solved through BIOS?

Graham ® 16:44 28 Mar 2004

I understand some motherboards remain powered up, even when the PC is off. No harm should be caused to the mouse by the LED being left on.

SANTOS7 16:48 28 Mar 2004

i have a ps2 optical,does exactly the same thing i have altered nothing as my pc is used and abused and everything works fine, all the buttons on my mouse are still fully programmeable i hope this will put your mind at rest and save you a few bob dave@d21

arricarry 16:55 28 Mar 2004

Turn it off at the wall, I presume its on standby at the moment.

microswift 18:11 28 Mar 2004

The optical mouse on my shuttle ST61G4 behaves exactly the way yours does on your SN45G, I dont think it's a fault, may be just a characteristic of shuttle pc's.

Mat2 18:27 28 Mar 2004

Hve you check the jumpers regarding usb power, if this is set to +5vSB the light will stay on, it should be set to +5v then the light should go off when the computer is shut down. I have the same problem on Jetway motherboard once I change the jumper to +5v the problem was resolved.

I hope this helps

mat2

JerryJay 18:29 28 Mar 2004

Almost all recent motherboards do this, i.e. motherbaord is still on even machine is shut down. Only way to switch off totally is to switch main power from wall or extension.

Why? This is new ATX motherbard standard, the purpose is to enable "Wake up by Lan", i.e. the PC can be switched on remotely if the machine in on a LAN and wake up by lan has been set in bios.

Silly?! But it is in ATX standard.

Well, it's good to know that there is nothing wrong with my new Shuttle PC. I installed all the necessary motherboard drivers and the 'problem' still occurs. I guess I can live with it. The only problem is that since it's in my bedroom, I might find ir difficult sleeping with a small red like constantly on. Might scare the hell out of me if the mouse suddenly lights up if I nudge it!

SGT B@RNES 02:48 29 Mar 2004

i know its a stupid question but is the mouse corded or cordless

SGT B@RNES 10:15 29 Mar 2004

bump

medicine hat 11:26 29 Mar 2004

So does that mean that if "wake on lan" is disabled in the bios then the motherboard will 'power down' even further? And turn these annoying lights off?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?