Pc Monitor Help

pete r 09:58 15 Jan 2007

My lad has been messing with the controls on my Medion MD1786LH monitor, and now my screen has a tint of red.

I have tried altering the colours, but I cannot get it back to the original colours.

Is there any way I can reset it back to the default settings?

anskyber 10:22 15 Jan 2007

It depends on your card. I assume you have gone into settings by right click desktop,properties, settings advanced to see if it lets you do it there.

if the screen has been altered using its own settings then usually there is a menu button on the screen which allows for calibration and reset, again it depends on your screen

pete r 10:43 15 Jan 2007

Thanks for the reply.

I have been into settings by right click desktop,properties, settings advanced but no default settings are listed.

I think it has been altered with the buttons on the monitor.I have tried going into the monitor menu, and there is a recall and degauss options,although I have tried these with no effect.
Any other suggestions?

birdface 14:17 15 Jan 2007

If you try putting model number into Google ,And see if you can find the makers settings for your monitor,Or if you still have the instruction book that came with Moniter,It will be in there,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 15 Jan 2007

Click meun button on monitor - use the up / down buttons on monitor to get to the -R- symbol this is the reset - press menu again to reset.

skeletal 18:25 15 Jan 2007

Some monitors have all sorts of adjustments. However, most have a “colour temperature” or colour “tone” setting. This may be “cool”, “normal” or “warm” or you may see something like “6800K”, “5600K”. Try changing these. It is quite subtle and could easily be the thing that meddling fingers have fiddled!

Skeletal

pete r 18:31 15 Jan 2007

Thanks again for the replies.

I have already tried google with no luck.

I don't have an R symbol in my menu, all I have is contrast, brightness,H size, H position, V size, V position, pincushion, trapezoid, rotation, colour, language, display frequency, degauss, recall, H moire and V moire.

Any more ideas?

pete r 18:38 15 Jan 2007

Skeletal

I have also tried this, mine has 9300k, 6500k and user.
I have tried changing the colours in the "user" setting, but I still cannot seem to get the correct colours on display.

skeletal 19:16 15 Jan 2007

Hmmm...that’s a bit more tricky. Have you tried the 9300K setting? If I’ve got it the right way round that should be quite “cool” i.e. blueish, compared with 6500K (this confuses me as people say “warm red and cool blue” but in terms of black body radiation, which is where all this comes from, a temperature of 9300K is hotter than 6500K!).

Anyway, back to your problem. Looking at the list, the ones that should be changing the colour etc are contrast, brightness, colour. Brightness and contrast changes are usually obvious to most users and shouldn’t really change the colour that much. Changing them can give the illusion of a slight colour change, but I would have thought you would have noticed the much bigger effect of brightness/contrast.

This is why I keep coming back to colour, the “temperature” of which will do exactly as you describe.

But, something else that can happen is that it is very hard for people to remember colour, and you may be being influenced by ambient light for example. You also get used to a slight colour tint and when you change it to the “correct one” it can look wrong. Just something to be aware of...I’m not saying you are going colour blind!!!

I would try 9300K and failing that, try to get the best as you remembered in the user selection one.

Of course, by pure chance, it is possible your monitor has broken!

Finally, the “recall” button may take you back to factory settings, but I can’t promise on that one.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?