PC monitor goes black during bootup

trenthetfield 09:34 08 Feb 2014

Was surfing last night when my computer screen blacked out. Rebooted it, usual start up screen comes up, windows xp loading bar chugging along, but then when it wants to move to the next stage, goes black again. I can access the drives from my laptop, and can hear that pc is still working, usual lights coming on on keyboard etc. Booted into safe mode, but when clicking on a drive to access, does the same. Anyone know what the issue is? Graphics card died?

Nontek 09:42 08 Feb 2014

Before you start poking about in the PC, can you try another monitor?

BRYNIT 09:43 08 Feb 2014

It could be anything. The first I would check is the HD, if it's failing and parts of the HD cannot be read it will stall. Although you say you can access the drive from the laptop you will need to do a full scan of the drive to see if it's OK.

trenthetfield 09:50 08 Feb 2014

Thanks for your replies.

Might be able to try the monitor on someone's pc to rule that out, but don't have a spare monitor, no. There are 2 hard drives in the machine, if that's of any use.

BRYNIT 11:03 08 Feb 2014

You need run Chkdsk to check the main drive the one with the OS. If the drive has bad sectors it cannot find the info to continue and will usually stall with a black screen when booting.

"Booted into safe mode, but when clicking on a drive to access, does the same."

This also sounds like like the drive is failing as it seems it cannot read from the drive when you click on it?

How to run Chkdisk CLICK HERE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:00 08 Feb 2014

After running chkdsk try a repair:-

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems click here 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP click here

OPTION

trenthetfield 16:27 08 Feb 2014

I ran chkdsk, and it has solved the problem. Luckily I went to plug my laptop into the telly to watch the football, and realised that the pc desktop was connected to it, so was able to run chkdsk. Hopefully not temporary....thanks for your answers.

Nontek 15:59 09 Feb 2014

Good, thanks for your feedback!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?