PC mega slow to start up

boosta7 11:45 31 Oct 2009

Hello! My computer takes about 10 mins to start up. It seems that all its resources are being used at the time as I can't click on anything or open task manager to see what's running. The HDD light flashes intermitantly while this is going on.
Then suddenly it will free itself up and away we go!

I'm using XP Home, have McAfee AV (I don't think it's doing a scan at start up - it auto checks and installs updates and scans when I tell it to).

There are loads of programs in the start-up section of MSCONFIG, so I could do with knowing what HAS to be ticked on that startup list to cut out any spurious rubbish it's trying to load, etc.
to start with, then try to pin down exactly what the computer is doing when it freezes up.

Can anyone please help? Thx

OTT_Buzzard 12:09 31 Oct 2009

There's almost certainly nothing that *must* be checked on your msconfig for startup. Uncheck everything and reboot....if it's much quicker then you can start to work out what's causing the slow boot.

If you want any further info on your start-up processes then post back details of what's in msconfig.

birdface 12:15 31 Oct 2009

Try running C Cleaner or open my computer and press properties.And run clean up.
When I used XP Home i had 5 programs that started in msconfig start up.
Just how many have you got that are ticked.
Also check the air vents are not clogged up with dust and fluff,if so inside will also need cleaning.

Update and run the free version of Malwarebytes Mcafee on its own will be no good.

click here

boosta7 12:18 31 Oct 2009

There are 21 progs ticked in the startup tab of msconfig.

Will clean airvents too!

birdface 13:42 31 Oct 2009

If air vents are clogged up inside will also need cleaning especially the fans.
21 programs running at start up.
Maybe just untick everything except your security programs.
Not sure if it is a laptop or a desktop but if using a wireless connection do not disable any of those connections.

User-1229748 13:51 31 Oct 2009

are you sure mcafee isn't scanning at start up?have you payed for mcafee as there are free antivirus products that won't bog your system down as much as mcafee?

Les28 15:32 31 Oct 2009

Type your ticked msconfig startup items in here

click here=

or use the A-Z lists for them in Task List here

click here

Also in msconfig have a look at the Services Tab, put a tick in the box to hide all microsoft services, then make a note of any non ms services shown as running and have a look online to see what them services are and if they're needed to be running all the time.

You OK for plenty of free hard drive space and ram memory?

Les28 16:03 31 Oct 2009

Many programs you install will by default add themselves to your startup list and can just as easily be started from their desktop icons or from the Start All Programs list as and when when needed, usually somewhere in these programs tools/options/ properties you can take the tick out of start with windows startup.
Sometimes even if not running from msconfig they still have a nasty habit even when opened from the All Programs list or their icon of not fully closing down when you finish using the program, usually leaving an icon in the notification area by the clock, best to just right click that icon and left click exit, to shut them down completely.

Instant messaging programs, updaters and some media players are very fond of fitting themselves in msconfig startup and not shutting down, unless told twice.

So it's always a good idea after installing a new program to have a look in msconfig to see if its added itself to startup list and then have a look online to see if it's really needed to start then.

As already advised above and beyond anti-virus you'll probably find you won't need that many running at startup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?