PC MAKING LOUD NOISES

smjpanther 22:04 18 Oct 2007

Hello! everyone I am a new member. I joined because I having pc problems and need help. i HAVE A CUSTOM MAde PC (Hybred)via a multiboot. When I lose power in the house my pc goes off and do not restart. One day, I lost power 3x consecutively and now when starting my computer into Window XP Pro it makes very loud noises & spinning & humming sounds. Window XP seems to bootup popularly but the noises is very loud to the point I have to turn off the system. I have a 80 gigabyte Hard -drive and 1 gigabyte RAM. I think it is either the power supply or hard drive. Need advise and/or help.

Thanks in advance.

skidzy 22:18 18 Oct 2007

Certainly sounds like the harddrive to me,but obviously do not rule out the psu.

I suggest you backup if the machine will boot into windows,alternatively,remove the drive a place in another machine as slave and try to reclaim any data.
Another way is to use an ide/sata to USB adaptor cable or an external caddy.

Looks like you may have to try another drive first,to see if the drive is damaged.
also consider the mobo could have been damaged.

skidzy 22:22 18 Oct 2007

PS;

There are harddrive tools that will diagnose your drive for you.

Also if possible;

Run chkdsk

1. Click Start, select Run.
2. In the 'Open' box, type cmd
3. Click Ok.
4. Run the chkdsk utility by typing in the following command:
chkdsk c: /f /r
NOTE: the /f command automatically fixes any errors encountered, the /r command locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
5. A reboot is normally required for the Chkdsk program to lock the disk and run correctly, so simply restart the computer and Chkdsk will run automatically. When it's finished, (This process can take quite a while depending on the size of your disk, etc.), it will boot back to normal Windows.

Windows XP Chkdsk
click here

smjpanther 04:31 02 Nov 2007

Thank you skidzy for your help.

The chkdsk worked. Ran the utility in the command prompt; first attempted worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?