PC Maintenance Software

amyjen7 17:34 07 Jun 2009

Hi can you suggest some maintenance software which includes such as defrag & go back in addition to detecting & fixing errors. It must not conflict with my Norton Security 2009. I run Vista Home Premium. Thank you

Kind regards

ambra4 05:11 08 Jun 2009

You can look at the following programs

Advanced System Care Free

click here

TuneUp Utilities 2009

click here

maghemite 13:38 08 Jun 2009

In my opinion, the best programs are those that are specialized, i.e. not all-in-ones.

I use Diskeeper 2009 Pro for defragmentation. It keeps all the drives in my system running perfectly. The operation is fully automatic, so all I had to do was merely install it. Excellent defragger that does everything including defrag system files, low space defrag, multiple drive simultaneous defrag etc.
You can check out the free trial versions here
click here

For detecting and fixing filesystem errors, you can use the in-built chkdsk function. Details on how to run this are available here
click here

For checking the hard drive performance (not file system performance, mind you), you can use HDtune. There are free as well as paid versions.
click here

For disk cleanup, just use the built-in Windows utility, or if you must, you can install Ccleaner.

System imaging, backups and cloning can be done by Acronis True Image. I've used this for a short while and it was good, but there may be others that are better, i am not sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone