PC to Laptop via ethernet switcher?

jock23 15:35 27 Jan 2009

I want to connect my pc to my laptop to transfer info fast on occasions, and there was a spare ethernet switcher (Netgear FS108) at work so I thought I would be able to plug both PCs into the switcher and transfer information (like i have been able to do when I moved my wireless router upstairs to do the same task)

However when I plugged them in the PC said Limited or No Connectivity?? Does the ethernet switcher need to be plugged into a router or something as well?

Thanks

brundle 16:03 27 Jan 2009

Both machines are looking for a DHCP server (which would normally be a router or server), Windows is usually able to create private IP addresses on its own if it can't find one - look at the network adapter properties, if the machines both have IP addresses starting 169.254. then Windows has given the machines IP addresses itself.

click here
click here

Easier to plug the switch into the router tho.

jock23 16:08 27 Jan 2009

yes but to plug the switch into the router so that my pc can access it I would have to unplug the router from the telephone line and take it upstairs!

brundle 16:16 27 Jan 2009

Let APIPA sort things out then, both machines connected to the switch. Disable wireless internet connection(s) when you connect everything up so.

Switcher 15:21 31 Jan 2009

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?