PC-Laptop and broadband

filthyphil 16:45 17 Jul 2006

I have just been given a NETGEAR EN106TP hub and i have 2 NETGEAR PCMIA cards 1 is a PCMIA mobile adaptor and thev other is a notebook adaptor?? can i connect this to my NTL bb connection? if so how do i do it and what do i need to do to get it to work??

ade.h 21:35 17 Jul 2006

Please wait for someone who can answer your question rather than starting a duplicate thread. This is the correct forum for your question.

ed-0 21:39 17 Jul 2006

Usually with a hub, you connect the main computer to the internet and use that as a " server ".

Run a RJ45 from the " server " tothe input of the hub. You would then run a cables from the out ports of the hub to your networked computers. To share files you would use the windows wizard. To use the internet you should be able to just click on IE. It should automatically detect the settings. If your broadband connection is encrypted, enter the code.

If the above does not work and you are on a different system, then use the ad-hoc settings of windows.

ed-0 21:42 17 Jul 2006

yes, they are to many networking questions being posted in the helproom.;-(

This way it makes it easier for those searching for a network answer.

mgmcc 08:28 18 Jul 2006

A "hub" is the most basic device for connecting multiple computers together in a local network. If only connecting two computers, you'd actually be as well connecting them directly, "Network Adapter" to "Network Adapter", with a *CROSSOVER* ethernet cable and forgetting about the hub. A hub in itself isn't going to help you connect multiple computers to the internet.

To create a wired network for Internet access and File/Printer sharing, you have essentially two options:

1) Install a Network Adapter in each PC (if not already installed) and connect them directly with a crossover CAT5 ethernet cable. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "private network connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

2) The preferred option for connecting more than one computer is to use a broadband Router. All networked computers connect directly to the router with ‘straight-wired’ CAT5 ethernet cables.

With a router, it is the router which connects directly to the ISP and not one of the connected PCs. The router in turn allocates the IP addresses to the PCs, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, usually 192.168.xxx.xxx

Either of these options will additionally allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing across the network.

If you are running software firewalls, these need to be configured to allow access to the networked computers. This may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" area.

filthyphil 12:41 21 Jul 2006

when i plug the network card into my laptop nothing happens and the laptop will not connect to internet?? my laptop does however have an ethernet port at the back already.. can i use this to connect to the router or not??

ade.h 13:12 21 Jul 2006

"...can i use this to connect to the router or not?"

Yes, as long as it's that client's only connection to the router. Keep your wifi switched off to avoid problems.

filthyphil 16:42 29 Jul 2006

when i connect the card to the laptop it recognises it?? but i still cannot get the laptop to go online.. my PC is working online no probs through the router but the laptop wont have anything to do with it, is it because i'm running the laptop on windows ME?

filthyphil 16:45 29 Jul 2006

with my NTL BB modem i can connect through usb or ethernet my PC is using the ethernet connection can i connect the laptop to the modem using the usb and have both running at the same time??

mgmcc 18:04 29 Jul 2006

<<< my PC is using the ethernet connection can i connect the laptop to the modem using the usb and have both running at the same time?? >>>

No, because the Cable Modem is not a Router. The ISP only allocates one IP address which will go to the first computer to connect. The second computer will be unable to get an IP address and won't have network or internet access.

<<< my PC is working online no probs through the router but the laptop wont have anything to do with it, is it because i'm running the laptop on windows ME? >>>

If you have installed the wireless software and you have drivers for Windows ME, there is no reason why you shouldn't have wireless access with that operating system.

ade.h 18:15 29 Jul 2006

Unfortunately, you need the 3rd-party software for any 9x OS, because they lack complete network support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?