PC keeps turning off, urgent help please!!!

Viv-208691 19:20 18 Dec 2004

Hi, I have a year old XP PC that keeps on turning itself off for no apparant reason - sometimes after just a few seconds, sometimes after around an hour. I have 'dedusted it' and everything seems phsically OK.

Can anyone give some advice, I have never previously taken the side of this PC before so nothing has been tampered with.

Thanks a lot

tinny76 19:25 18 Dec 2004

does this happen suddenlly as if someone had pulled the lead out of the back or does it tell you it will shut down with warning etc. if it is the former it is more thatn likely a power supply problem - open up the case when it does it see if the mothebaord light remains on.

Viv-208691 19:31 18 Dec 2004

Its as if someone has pulled the lead out the back. i will check motherboard light when it next happens.

thanks

Viv-208691 19:44 18 Dec 2004

ok, when the pc is working fine the motherboard has 2 lights on (one red one green). when it mysteriously turns off the red one goes off but the green stays on. what does this mean?

Thanks

@jc 20:05 18 Dec 2004

Have you checked your power option properties ?

Graham ® 20:05 18 Dec 2004

It is possible the PSU is failing, one of the voltages is going down.

Viv-208691 20:33 18 Dec 2004

Ok, are there ways to check if this is the case or do i need to simply try a new power pack?

Thanks again.

Graham ® 20:49 18 Dec 2004

There are ways to check with a multimeter, but not recommended for a novice! Sorry, but it would be irresponsible to advise you in that respect.

Dorsai 21:20 18 Dec 2004

There are PC monitoring programs about.

they monitor the voltages and temps of various bits of the PC, and can let you know if things are not what they should be.

Without knowing what board your PC has i dont know what prog. you would need.

Are you sure the Power cable has not just come loose?

It may well be the PSU, but if so, a monitoring Prog might pick up on it.

click here for a piccy of what they can look like. This one works on my pc.

Graham ® 21:49 18 Dec 2004

A fatal flaw in your suggestion! When the PC goes off, the program won't work :-)

Charence 22:15 18 Dec 2004

could you please tell us what I should check with a multimeter?

Thanks, Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?