pc keeps turning off!

morgueman 19:06 16 Jun 2007

Hello all,here again with another question! For awhile now my pc just suddenly turns itself of. It happens at no particular time, either when i'm using it or when its just on with its screensaver going,it just turns of. I've gone into the power options and put monitor,system and harddisk to never go of!
Can anyone come upwith something please? I use Windows XP, thanks,

morgueman

ambra4 19:16 16 Jun 2007

How long you have the PC CPU fan may need to cleaned or replaced also check the Power Supply fan as PC could be overheating

morgueman 19:20 16 Jun 2007

had the pc for about 2 years, normally give the inside of the pc a clean out about once every two months or so. How do i check if the power supply fan is overheating or not?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 16 Jun 2007

random shut downs

overheat
CPU temperatures
click here
click here
Speedfan click here

PSU dying
change psu

Bad memory
Memory Test
click here
click here

corrupt software
Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

driver conflicts
update all your drivers

or viruses/ spyware
Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

rdave13 20:45 16 Jun 2007

As well as Fruit Bat /\0/\'s excellent list try downloading and running everest home edition, click here , click on "computer"in left pane then click on "sensor" icon in the right hand pane. This will give you the temps and all voltages and will make it easy to copy and paste to this forum so the experts can view what is going wrong. If it's a heat problem then suggest you download as quickly as you can, then run it when possible.

rdave13 20:47 16 Jun 2007

PS, use the French link it's faster.

morgueman 12:35 18 Jun 2007

hello all, i'm afraid i havent had the chance to download some of the programs suggested here, but i hoovered the pc out and then gave it a blast with some canned air stuff! Ever since then it hasent gone of, so maybe it was just some dust in the power supply fan!
Thanks for everyones help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017