PC keeps switching off

Dave123 15:12 28 Jun 2004

My PC keeps switching off randomly. I can be in the middle of doing something and it just goes off. How can I tell if it's the power supply or a software problem, or other Any help appreciated.

rawprawn 15:21 28 Jun 2004

Is it overheating? is the fan OK ?

alan227 15:48 28 Jun 2004

Download this program it is free and it will tell you the temperatures you want to now.
click here

nyleridedog 16:14 28 Jun 2004

what internet do you use?

Dave123 16:17 28 Jun 2004

Usually tesco, but it happens whether I'm on the internet, or not

buddiebuoy 16:28 28 Jun 2004

Don't know if this will help but my PC was doing similar things and I found that the main power switch had become bunged up with dust and become sticky. I cleaned and loosened up the switch and its ok at the moment.

Gongoozler 16:33 28 Jun 2004

It's probably temperature or power related, but it could be a virus. Try a temperature/voltage monitor. I use MBM5 from click here.

You can get an almost certain indication if the problem is software related by pressing the Delete key during boot-up. This will cause the computer to go into BIOS set-up. Just leave it like that. There will then be no software running to cause a shutdown, so if the computer then switches off, you will know that it is a hardware problem, or the BIOS shutdown limits are set to narrow.

Indigo 1 17:10 28 Jun 2004

"There will then be no software running to cause a shutdown, so if the computer then switches off, you will know that it is a hardware problem, or the BIOS shutdown limits are set to narrow."

That's a nice little tip thanks for pointing that one out,..... but blindingly obvious when you think about it 80)

Gongoozler 08:18 29 Jun 2004

Hi Dave123. I should have qualified that statement though. When the computer is not running any software, the processor won't be working as hard, so the temperature rise will be less, and the load on the power supply will be lower. Nothing's as simple as it first appears is it?

TAMPICO 20:57 29 Jun 2004

I had a similar problem just after upgrading some componants. After a process of elimination it turned out to be some faulty memory modules

woodchip 21:06 29 Jun 2004

I think you got all the main point of a shut down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?