PC keeps shutting down - virus suspected

gspence 14:39 25 Mar 2008

My lap top shuts down almost immediately after logging on. A message appears 'Driver has been over-run by a stack-based buffer'. Shortly before this began, I received a warning about possible infection by a Trojan virus. I have gone into safe mode to remove recently installed software and have found one folder I don't recognise. It appears to be empty but may contain hidden files. Whe I try to open it or delete it I get an 'access denied' message. I've tried system restore to an earlier date but it keeps failing.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to fix it? Many thanks in advance.

xania 14:46 25 Mar 2008

What virus checker are you using and what does it report? What OS?

gspence 14:50 25 Mar 2008

It's Norton, though I'm ashamed to admit it's not up todate. It reports nothing, and I'm not sure how I got a warning message telling me I may have been infected by Trojan. The OS is Windows XP.

xania 15:39 25 Mar 2008

Before you can do anything, get your Norton up-to-date. Then run a complete scan on your entire system and let us know what problems remain.

gspence 15:40 25 Mar 2008

Thanks for the advice. Sorry if this is a daft question but presumably I can get up to date Norton on disk and load without the PC shutting down (I can't get on to the internet at present).

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:58 25 Mar 2008

My lap top shuts down almost immediately after logging on

Blaster worm?
select Start|Run, then type:

shutdown -a

to abort the shutdown.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 25 Mar 2008

My lap top shuts down almost immediately after logging on

Blaster worm?
select Start|Run, then type:

shutdown -a

to abort the shutdown.

xania 08:50 26 Mar 2008

No. You need to be on-line to download. However, if it is Blaster worm then click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?