PC keeps rebooting after WINXPsplash screen

terendak_uk 19:37 19 Oct 2004

BUT, only when there's a CD in the DVD multi drive! Read earlier posts and it was mentioned once but with no further explanation. BIOS is set for HD0 as first boot. Be very grateful, again , for any help

terendak_uk 20:32 19 Oct 2004

still looking for a reason

Cuddles 22:33 19 Oct 2004

Try setting bios to look at floppy drive first.

THE TERMINATOR 22:56 19 Oct 2004

set your BIOS settings to 1st boot floppy 2nd boot HD0 3rd boot cd-rom....T

woodt 00:56 20 Oct 2004

Is there an error message on the screen before rebooting? If not then disable 'auto restart'.....right click My Computer select Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Settings and deselect 'automatically restart'. Post any error messages here.

terendak_uk 09:35 21 Oct 2004

thanks very much for advice. I have set the boot sequence as advised and the rebooting has not occured so far. There were no error messages but, there was one when XP did fire up( after I removed the CD) . It stated that Windows has recovered from a serious error......I didn't understand the details, but if the fault is directly related to the boot sequence then this should solve it.Why does it do this, tho? I have clean - installed XP on 5 PCs to date and this only happened twice- the first time I re-installed Win2000!Perhaps on the others, I did reset the Boot sequence to floppy first.
Thank you, again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?