pc keeps rebooting

jonski 11:05 31 Aug 2003

Hi, was wondering if this rings any bells...one of my pc`s keeps rebooting...a mate of mine said it sounds like your motherboard has gone..installed an elite mobo yesterday...booted up...just before it got to the main screen...rebooted...could this be a power supply problem...and if so...how can i check.?

wednesday 13 11:09 31 Aug 2003

I have heard about rebooting and I don't know what it is or does. Could you please tell me. Then I also might be able to help you.

jonski 11:34 31 Aug 2003

c`mon folks.....this must be an easy one for someone..

clayton 11:39 31 Aug 2003

If you this its a psu problem & you have more than one pc try swapping the psu over, do you get any beeps @ all ?

Kitz E Kat 11:43 31 Aug 2003

How far are you getting when you boot up, before it reboots? Are you getting as far as the BIOS?If so check in there and see if everything is OK.
What beeps are you getting, if any?

dazadude 11:49 31 Aug 2003

Are these any help?

click here

click here

jonski 11:52 31 Aug 2003

to clayton & kitz..full story...i gave my kids a pc...they hardly ever used it....so when my laptop sorta died on me...i thought i`d get my other back...formatted it..everything seemed fine...then when trying to install various programmes....even office xp...it`d get halfway..then reboot...if the pc was left idle...no probs..i thought at first the cpu might be overheating...but nope...everything there was ok..so a m8 of mine said its probably your mobo....so the story takes off from there..installed the new mobo yesterday...exactly the same prob...changed the memory over thinkin it might be faulty....still the same...this is what leads me to think it might be the psu..

DerekR 11:52 31 Aug 2003

Might be a silly thing - have you checked for the MSblast virus? That keeps rebooting a computer.

jonski 11:57 31 Aug 2003

derekR yepp m8...got the patch as soon as it was released...done full virus scan ...no probs...

jonski 12:04 31 Aug 2003

daza....read through those...thanks...got to nip out for a couple of hours....so if anybody posts reply`s...i`m not being ignorant...

Kitz E Kat 12:05 31 Aug 2003

You say 'if the pc is lift idle..no probs'....then i dont think its a hardware thing,DerekR suggestion might not be as silly as he thinks!!Did you scan your HD for a virus?

You could also try 'chkdsk.exe' and scan for problems with the OS install.

Other than trying to load programs are there any other problems, can you use the CD ROM to play a CD, Etc.

Yours
Kitz E

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?