PC - keeps not responding...

andy@ 23:23 04 Jan 2008

One of the issues is clicking on the "my computer" icon, and then the PC starts "not esponding". If you go to the task manager "My Computer Not Responding"

Up until 2 Jan I didn't have a problem. The problems seem to coincide with running ccleaner (older version) (as I have done in the past, although not for a long time). I did a system restore to early hours of 2 Jan (before clean), and 1 Jan. Doesn't seem to help.

On 2 Jan there was a XP update, but any incompatibilites should have been sorted with the system restore...

Any ideas as to what I can do?

Andy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:26 04 Jan 2008

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Devil Fish 23:27 04 Jan 2008

did you use Ccleaner to clear out any registry entries and did you back up the registry before making changes

andy@ 23:32 04 Jan 2008

OK thanks. Can I just ask, this a Dell laptop with XP preinstalled - should I still look out the XP disks?

BTW, on 28 Jan - I installed Windows Live, and apparently DirectX. On 29 Jan there was another software distribution, and I installed WinMEdPlayer 10. Could this be causing any probs...?

In the error message it mentions explorer.exe, but I use firefox...??

Andy

andy@ 23:37 04 Jan 2008

I believe I did clean the registry, but I have saved the log, and every file is a \Temp\, one dump as well, I think. No back-up.

andy@ 23:42 04 Jan 2008

The ccleaner deleted files log that is.

e.g. of deleted files C:\DOCUME~1\XXxxxx\LOCALS~1\Temp\AAX11E.tmp
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Perflib_Perfdata_7c0.dat

andy@ 23:49 04 Jan 2008

I've just looked in ccleaner. From the "Windows" "System" clean I had ticked:
Empty bin
Temp files
Clipboard
Memory dumps
Chkdsk Frags

and the IE windows options...

eedcam 09:23 05 Jan 2008

Andy Explorer.exe is not the same as Windows explorer
You may wish to look at this
click here

andy@ 09:24 05 Jan 2008

Thanks. I didn't see your sfc link to begin with. But I tried the scan and it prompted me for the XP disk, (the I386 folder). Before editing the reg, I thought I'd just try a system restore to the 27 Dec, and this *seems* to have done the trick. So perhaps the mass of new MS software that went on to the PC after this had something to do with the erratic behaviour...?

brundle 09:30 05 Jan 2008

Surely you mean Explorer (Explorer.exe)<>Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe)

andy@ 15:27 05 Jan 2008

Thanks. I did a full Avast and Ad-Aware scan and it didn't find anything nasty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?