pc keeps hanging

karl1483 18:48 19 May 2007

Hi all

i was wondering if anyone had any clues as to what is going on with my pc. it started on the 10th of may and i can be this exact as i have looked in application event viewer and the little red crosses started then, and this is when the problem began.
the event viewer lists the problem as

Error 10/05/2007 2059 Application Hang (101) N/A CHERYL

and this is repeated several times. i have been to microsoft website and it says wait for it "error is caused by an APPLICATION HANG" no *!@: sherlock.

the computer is a AMD sempron 2800+ with 1gb ram 80gb seagate barracuda and running win xp with sp2.
the pc is a self build for my girlfriend and it has been working fine for 18 months.
Motherboard is an Asrock k8nf4g SATA2

the symptons are that the computer refuses to do anything at all and hangs (and i mean anything) after approx 5 mins and the only way to resolve this is by a restart. after the restart it happens again, but if i dont actually open any applications the pc is fine for hours but as soon as i click something, nothing.

i initially thought the problem was IE7 so tried reset (with no joy) i then unistalled IE7 problem still there.

i turned off AVG and windows firewall and then wireless connection and still same problem.

i have tested the memory with memtest and it ok, i have also defraged hard drive and also checked for errors, nowt seems to help.
i have not installed any new programs so i am at a loss.
i must also admit i am not a big windows man as i use OSX 10 so i am a little rusty.
i would appreciate any help before i re-format hard drive and start anew.

cheers karl

although youve run memtest have you added any memory recently?

karl1483 19:20 19 May 2007

Hi
funny you should say that i did take some memory out to clean the pc as it was minging,and then put it back.

yes i have added some more memory but i did it today and the problems began before today i dont know if this is relevant.

i did take out the new memory and try the pc to see if this was the problem but still the same and visa versa with old memory.

cheers karl

Karl,
this happened to me application hang etc,drove me bananas
pc worked fine or so i thought for long periods after i added new memory
app hangs etc but it would only happen in my case when i added bluetooth dongle (wierd)

yours is a bit of a puzzle as youve tried it with just the old memory
but it could be memory related as memtest didnt pick it up in my case
sorry i cant help any further

karl1483 19:37 19 May 2007

hi Raven
thanks for your info.i revisiting memory issue again and for the last 10 mins or so without old memory and only new everything seems ok, now trying it again with both memory will then try old memory.

thanks for your response will let you know how it goes.

karl

good luck,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:11 19 May 2007

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?