PC keeps freezing regularly and I can't find the problem.

Arne.smit 15:25 19 Aug 2013

Hi.

Here are the specs: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU [email protected] 3.20Ghz 6.00 GB DDR3 64- bit Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung HD 1Tb with 130GB Free Space

The Problem: my PC has started freezing regularly this past week when I have 2 or 3 programs running at the same time. This has not been a problem in the past 2 years.

I have not installed any new software prior to this.

Since then I have downloaded a free register cleaner program, AVG free 2013 (all the scans were clean), defragmented my hard drive (this is done automatically every month) and checked all my drivers and can't seem to find the problem.

It could be a hardware problem? I have 5.1 Logitech speakers playing loudly most of the time? Could this be the cause?

If somebody could help it would be much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:37 19 Aug 2013

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

5. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

woodchip 18:53 19 Aug 2013

My bet is on Overheating as above, take the side off and give it a good clean out

bumpkin 19:07 19 Aug 2013

Heat sink clogged with dust I would think, give it a good clean out as suggested by others but be sure to remove the cpu fan and clean the heatsink, sometimes overlooked.

Arne.smit 19:15 19 Aug 2013

Thanks for the advice. I will try and let you guys know. One question: isn't the PC supposed to completely shut down when over-heated?

woodchip 21:19 19 Aug 2013

not always

nfdowds 15:51 31 Aug 2013

Hi , The above posts re your problem are correct about possible overheating issues. Clean the PSU fans and CPU cooling fan fins and if your comfortable in doing this next step you could remove the CPU clean off old Thermo paste and re-apply new thermo paste . Re-mount the CPU and CPU cooling system and see if that works . For steps how to apply Thermo paste try searching it on a search engine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?