PC instability - Windows 7

GuyLafleur 22:42 02 Dec 2014

Hello everyone,

I've been having troubles over the past months with my computer.

This is my computer: I5-3330 geforce gtx 550 ti Asus p8p67 motherboard 8 go ddr3 corsair RAM corsair cx600 psu

My problem is always the same. The computer will freeze randomly (mouse locks, cant do anything) and then the computer shuts down by itself after 2 minutes.

After a few crashes, the computer wont even start bios anymore.

So far I've changed the hard disk, and the computer worker fine for like 2 months before retarting to crash. Then, I changed the ram, which also made my computer run fine for a few weeks. Then, I changed the psu, which also made my compter work fine for a few weeks.

Now, All I havent changed really is the motherboard, the cpu and the gpu. Which one do you guys would change next to attempt to solve my problem? Or any help would be greatly apreciated.

Jollyjohn 13:32 03 Dec 2014

Have a look in Event Viewer and see if there is a common event occurring when problem occurs.

Have a look in BIOS for Temperature monitoring / thermal cutout protection settings.

Google for SpeedFan and / or hardware monitorclick here install one of these and observe temperatures.

My feeling is that it is temperature related.

GuyLafleur 04:14 04 Dec 2014

I have looked at the event viewer and the only error it shows is an error that says the computer wasnt shut off properly, because it either stopped responding, crashed or the power went off. There is no error at the actual crash time.

As for the temperature, I clean installed windows yesterday and it didnt crash since. I have played a few games and the cpu didnt go over 50 C whereas the gpu didnt go above 70.

As I said, I have done a windows 7 clean install. So far I havent had a crash in maybe 8-10 hours of gaming. I'll report if it keeps crashing.

Jollyjohn 11:51 04 Dec 2014

Good, glad you seem to have sorted it. The fact there is nothing in event viewer points to overheating. Consider airflow around the PC and check the vents are not clogged with dust.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017