Pc help memory\taskbar\notification icon broken

Adam1993 20:07 23 Oct 2014

Ok so my computer crashed earlier today and went to a blue screen that said Memory management error.

When I restarted the computer the task bar had changed to the windows 98 style and all the notification area icons were missing and not working. In the notification area icons page it says that the icons are not currently active and it will be shown the next time it becomes active. This means I have no sound and am unable to connect to the internet. Also when trying a system restore it shows the error

"system restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system. A volume shadow copy service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information. (0x80042302)"

I ran the memory diagnostic tool and it said that a hardware fault had been found. I then removed one of the ram sticks and ran the diagnostic again and no hardware faults were found, however the problem with the computer is still occurring.

Computer specs are as follows:-

Amd phenom II 1090T 2x4GB corsair vengeance ddr3 Asus M5A99Xevo Sapphire ATI 6800HD 1GB 500GB HD corsair TX850 PSU Windows 7 64 bit version OEM

On another note I had recently formatted the pc and done a fresh install of windows.

I have no idea what to do in order to fix this and was hoping someone would have advice or a solution.

rdave13 23:28 23 Oct 2014

If you have four slots for ram try inserting one card in slot 0 and the other in slot 2, if that fails try slots 1 and three, depending how the slots are numbered. Make sure the connections are sound. Might be a bad motherboard ram port.

rdave13 23:40 23 Oct 2014

Another thing to try is remove the dedicated GPU card and see if it works using the motherboard's onboard graphics.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?