PC has shutdown and restarted on its own twice!

bear73 16:08 16 Aug 2009

I just wanted to check if this was likely to be a warning of some kind of issue with my pc. Its a dell desktop about 3 years old (using Vista) and about 2 months ago it shut down of its own accord while I was using it and restarted itself, it has been fine since. Today it did the same thing while my husband was using it (unfortunately he was halfway through some work which he lost).

My 10yr old time pc died last week and this is now our only pc and am very worried something is wrong and this may be a warning. Any ideas? Should I do some form of check on it to make sure its performing ok?

Thanks

DieSse 16:17 16 Aug 2009

First you should change the option to restsrt on an error - then it will stop with a blue screen - the bluie screen details may give a clue as to what's causing the shut down.

Go to the Control Panel - Double click on System - Choose the Advanced tab - Click the Settings button for Start up and Recovery - untick the box "Automatically restart...."

Also you should cherck the fans and system temperatures (as heat related issues are common in the summer).

You can do this by downloading free Everest from

click here

This has a temperature/fan monitor under the Sensor in the Computer section.

Also generally look inside the case for dust/fluff build-up and clean.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:22 16 Aug 2009

On a nice warm day like today I would suspect overheating

Clear out all grills and fans and make sure there is a good airflow through the machine.

woodchip 16:38 16 Aug 2009

It may need a Good Clean round the Fans inside. Means taking the left side off the PC. Soft Brush and Can off Air

bear73 17:40 16 Aug 2009

Thanks. I have disabled the automatic restart and
will give it a good clean. Will let you know if I get any error codes in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?