Pc has no o.s,am i able to find out spec?

buel 22:50 20 Apr 2009

Hi, my brother recently bought a desktop computer from an auction and now realises it has no operating system (apparently all computers get wiped when sold at auctions due to the data protection act?) Please can anyone tell me if he is able to tell what hard drive it has and what processor? There is nothing on the side of the pc (No spec, no windows licence etc)
Thank you!

woodchip 22:51 20 Apr 2009

no way of knowing with looking at every bit of hardware

buel 22:53 20 Apr 2009

Not in the bios?

woodchip 22:55 20 Apr 2009

PS what may help is Download Linux Live CD this runs from a CD so nothing is loaded to the Hard Drive it only uses such things as Memory etc nothing is loaded to the Drive. click here Most of them include all you need like Office software games etc. after running it you may be able to find out what Hardware is in the comp. if you know where to look

woodchip 22:58 20 Apr 2009

PS You create a ISO Image with the Download on to a CD then boot with the CD for it to load

woodchip 22:58 20 Apr 2009

Don't forget to set BIOS to boot from CD as first boot device

buel 23:02 20 Apr 2009

BRILLIANT!!
Thank you!!

buel 20:23 22 Apr 2009

Hi woodchip, please could you advise which one to choose from the link you gave me? There are so many..

dan11 20:33 22 Apr 2009

"Please can anyone tell me if he is able to tell what hard drive it has and what processor?"

Just boot the computer and press the pause key as it posts.

You should be able to get the cpu and hard drive size, plus if you write down the bios string at the bottom of the page you can decipher which motherboard it has.

woodchip 23:01 22 Apr 2009

BIOS will tell you the Hard Drive that's fitted. You could start with a easy one like Puppy Linux. near the top of the list and don't think it a very big download as it fits on mini disc. it will give you a sample of what its like without loading it. then if you like linux you could try others till you find what fits your taste

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?