P.C. has a mind of its own is this a virus?

geoff47 16:17 20 Jan 2006

My computor has recently been behaving strangely.
I am using Win 98 and have had the normal sorts of cliches but this one is very strange.
With no warning the screen begins to show different parts of various progams,perhaps the start up screen for Belarc, then Folder Options, then any other random program, nothing responds to the mouse, but if you move the mouse the different icons on the desktop flash and tumble across it.
The most recent occurance Belarc opened, and also another program, which I close by using ctrl alt delete,and can only restart the PC with these keys.

I have run CCleaner, Easy Cleaner and AVG and it still occurs. When opening Firefox to ask for help here the browser was postage stamp sized until I expanded it, and I never minimise it.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
I have had similar happenings before when I thought it might be the Mouse playing up...any ideas how to solve this will be gratefully recieved.
Many thanks
Geoff47

geoff47 00:06 21 Jan 2006

bump Perlease help

stalion 00:07 21 Jan 2006

what type of mouse are you useing?

johnnyrocker 00:09 21 Jan 2006

try booting into safe mode and checking last known good configuration?

johnny.

geoff47 00:11 21 Jan 2006

It is the mouse supplied with the PC bog standard I would think

geoff47 00:13 21 Jan 2006

Sorry?
Can I do that with win 98 ?
And how would I do that ?

Totally-braindead 00:14 21 Jan 2006

If you think it may be mouse related then I would suggest buying another mouse, they aren't dear and if it doesn't work at least you've elliminated that from your list of possibles.
If you get stuck and have all your disks and no one else is forthcoming with a solution you could always blank the PC and reinstall. This is of course the last resort.

geoff47 00:19 21 Jan 2006

Thanks for that.....the last resort for sure.
Hope it wont come to that.
Perhaps a flashy new mouse would do the trick.
But I dont really know if that is the problem.Suppose its cheap enough to find out if its not though.

Skyver 00:21 21 Jan 2006

Unplug the mouse and boot up, you can navigate round Windows without one for test purposes. Tab, Alt (and certain letters) will suffice. And Alt Tab together to switch between tasks. Alt F4 repeatedly to shut down.

geoff47 21:25 21 Jan 2006

I hope that is the problem solved, only time will tell.
Keeping my fingers crossed I shall tick this as solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?