PC HAS BEEN TAKEN OVER

LANDCRUISER 15:44 28 Feb 2008

Hello help,i have just done a reformat on xp home edition & it seem that it still holding on my old setting before reformating,how can i delete the old settings,i would like to wipe the lot & start afresh,there is loads of things goinging off that should not,i need a simple software to load & wipe the lot,i have tryed to sort it but as i take one step forward i take two backwards,any help would be great as im pulling my hair out

Technotiger 15:49 28 Feb 2008

XP can not reformat itself. To wipe the drive clean you will need to remove the drive, attach it either as a Slave or External drive (in a USB enclosure), to another PC, and then format it NTFS.

If I am wrong, I am sure someone will soon come on and say so!

LANDCRUISER 15:58 28 Feb 2008

hi technotiger,i have reformated it in the past,i put the mesh disc in & reformat & during the procedure you can delete the old set up but for some reason it hanging on to old settings,what is a usb enclosure you refer to

Technotiger 16:07 28 Feb 2008

There are many different makes/sizes, but this will give you the general idea .. click here

Technotiger 16:15 28 Feb 2008

I may be wrong, but I think you mean you have re-installed XP, not re-formated.

LANDCRUISER 16:17 28 Feb 2008

hi,thanks for the link but ive never needed this in the past,has xp now change or what,is there a kill disc software to wipe the hard drive ?

Technotiger 16:18 28 Feb 2008

If you want to wipe-the-lot, then that means re-formatting the Drive.

Technotiger 16:19 28 Feb 2008

There is software, (Google is your friend) but I think any decent software will probably need paying for.

brundle 16:21 28 Feb 2008

DBAN click here

LANDCRUISER 16:21 28 Feb 2008

so when you re-install i take it you do not wipe the disc then & the only way to wipe the lot is by re-formating

Technotiger 16:22 28 Feb 2008

A very comprehensive - How to - (courtesy of Google)

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone