PC Hangs at Random

laurie53 17:52 31 Aug 2009

Ever since installing the Win 7 RC a few weeks ago my PC has started hanging at random intervals.

Sometimes just after start up, sometimes after a few hours, sometimes while working, sometimes while idle.

I had thought that this was probably a flaky driver which would sort itself out with normal updates, but today it hung during POST, just before the chipset and memory checks, so it probably isn't the o/s.

I haven't seen this as a memory chip problem, and I don't think it's running hot, so any ideas please?

rdave13 18:40 31 Aug 2009

PSU problems starting possibly.

GaT7 18:41 31 Aug 2009

Being of random nature, this could be a hard one to nail down.

No harm in testing the RAM just to rule it out. Use the free Memtest86+ click here to do so. What you can also try is removing one RAM chip at a time & seeing how it does.

Also open the case & remove, then reseat & refit all cards & cables.

Sometimes, flaky USB connections can cause this. What are all the USB items you have connected?

Another reason could be a faulty PSU. But unless you have a spare one to check with, it's difficult to say with any certainty.

What's you motherboard make & model please? Actually knowing your full spec could be useful - so make+model of motherboard, CPU, RAM, graphics card & PSU. If required, use the free SIW click here (standalone version) to find out the former 4. For the PSU, you'll need to open the case & take a peek. G

laurie53 20:16 31 Aug 2009

Thanks for the responses.

My first thought was a flaky usb connection so I've already tried isolating them one by one.

My set up is an AMD Athlon Dual Core in an Asus M2N4 SLI mobo. 2 gig paired dual channel RAM, a Radion X300SE graphics card, low spec I know, but I only do a bit of photo (not video) editing. Jeantech 350 w psu.

My other thought is printer software. I have an HP printer, and they are worse than Norton for having software which interferes with the system files.

rdave13 20:30 31 Aug 2009

Uninstall the printer then, following the wizards instructions, that will ask you to remove the usb connection at the right time. Reboot and see how it goes. My thoughts are still with a PSU dying.
Might even work a bit longer without a few usb ports loads on it.

laurie53 08:04 01 Sep 2009

If only it were that simple!

You've obviously never owned. or at least tried to uninstall, an HP printer.

Uninstalling the printer will not affect the software, and there are whole HP forum threads devoted to uninstalling the software.

Many people, myself included in the past, have had to resort to reinstalling the o/s.

You have to do something called an L3 uninstall which, coupled with the eventual re-install, can take hours and is not for the faint hearted!

I like HP but they can be difficult to live with.

jbaker65 08:12 01 Sep 2009

I had the same problem which was cured by clearing the bios for a few seconds. (used the clear jumper on the motherboard)

laurie53 10:45 01 Sep 2009

Thanks. I'll keep that in reserve!

rdave13 11:02 01 Sep 2009

Quite correct. I have never owned a HP printer. Didn't know about the difficulties in uninstalling them!

PcTestCard.com 11:35 01 Sep 2009

"today it hung during POST, just before the chipset and memory checks"

This seems hardware problem.

Try reset the CPU Ram HDD cable as well.

Could be the mainboard.

Hope this helps!
Bill

sonyboy 14:20 01 Sep 2009

Random....and Intermittent issues are usually a pain in the butt to suss out as you can try all the naturally obvious processes in order to nail the culprit ..and the next time you try an approach ..it presents a different set of results...
I can sympathise totally when you mentioned HP ...An update for an HP Deskjet F418 was the culprit in totally screwing my machine.Luckily ..I had a spare PSU and I assumed that it was a flakey PSU voltage issue...It wasn't that in my case..Then tried everything else everyone in this thread has suggested... and no joy...
Did the long and painful "hair tearing" total removal of HP Drivers and all the other irrelevant stuff that is buried in the HP update bundle..The depth at which this stuff hooks into the registry is phenomenal..over 5200 entries across all registry hives! What a pain!
Still no joy..Had to reinstall Windows and then very reluctantly tried an older version of HP software with "selective install" leaving out all the useless "crud" that has no bearing on the printer functionality!
That cured it..no further troubles ....I know this doesn't sort your problem as you may have a hardware issue ...but it does underline that HP drivers are in some cases ..capable of causing the scenario you have encountered.
If attempts in the RAM ...PSU ...and Mobo areas don't sort it...You may end up following the path I had to take and I hope you don't have to go that route...Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?