PC is grinding away and really slooooooow

montyburns 18:46 03 Mar 2005

What is up with my PC?

It's not ancient (just over a year old - OK, I know that's a contradiction!)

Windows XP, 256MB of RAM, 60Gb of free disc space. It'll chug along quite nicely for a bit, then suddenly start whirring as if it's doing some really memory hungry task (while all it's doing is displaying a web page) Can take forever just to open a Word document. And when it comes to closing down/logging off - it can take 5 mins or more

Is there some diagnostic software or something I can buy/try? I had Norton Utilities on my old 95 machine, and this seemed to work well, but have heard bacd things about it for XP

Thanks for any help

Dave

Jackcoms 18:55 03 Mar 2005

To be honest 256 mb RAM is the bare minimum for XP.

Have you done any PC housekeeping - cleaned out temp files, temp Internet files, defragged, check disk?

Or use this click here

montyburns 19:15 03 Mar 2005

I was having a nasty feeling about the RAM...!

Everything else is sorted.

Odd thing is, which I didn't mention before, that we have two profiles (me and my other half) Mine runs slow, whilst her's runs fine! What's that about?!

Dave

Jackcoms 19:20 03 Mar 2005

Use CCleaner - one of the best free crap cleaners available and regularly recommended in this Forum.

You can safely delete anything that it finds.

Run it for your log-in and in your wife's log-in - it will find plenty to clean up in both accounts.

montyburns 19:48 03 Mar 2005

Ta for the info!

Have downloaded it and will be running it very soon!

Dave

montyburns 14:40 06 Mar 2005

Just to update - have run Ccleaner and it certainly has improved things. Thanks for the tip!

Also downloaded and using the Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta from

click here

so this is probably doing it's bit too!

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone