PC Grief!

bamfiesler 12:54 13 Sep 2003

A bout a week ago, I noticed my home page had changed. Sought the problem out in the registry, and that was that. Then I noticed my firewall flag in xp was gone. Did sys retore and lost nav!! (nb this was norton 2000 which I somehow managed to get working when I upgraded to xp). I now have no av protect, and now any cd that is put in the drive is unable to open: I keep getting a prompt to insert the disk that's already in!

A new hard disk is going in this week, with a clean install, but this is maddening. Virus, or what?

Thanx to all - in advance - who respond.

Jester2K II 13:15 13 Sep 2003

Well do you actually have ANY Anti Virus running at the moment?

If not get AVG free click here and do a scan.

The problems could be the result of a registry corruption or problem after upgrading to XP.

When you get he new hard drive do a clean install of XP but get your AV on as soon as possible.

bamfiesler 19:17 13 Sep 2003

Jester,

Many thanks for response. XP has been fine since upgrading in MArch this year; I began using something called 'regscrubxp' of a pcadvisor disk; all the problems seemed to have commenced from this point on. I can't think what I've done...........

gold 47 19:23 13 Sep 2003

I never use any CD software from any cover disk i just don't trust them.

rickf 19:27 13 Sep 2003

regscubxp is ok. I use it all the time. Did you by any chance use the "user define" facility and deleted what you shouldn't have.

bamfiesler 19:39 13 Sep 2003

rickf

Yeh, but it was only to get that web page key.

Have followed Jester's advice and am downloading AVG; will post back later tonight with result.

Thanx, guys.

bamfiesler 20:32 13 Sep 2003

Ok, downloaded the free avg prog, and cannot open it. window pops up with 'blah balah.... is not a win32 application. What's going on here, this is wierd!

bamfiesler 20:38 13 Sep 2003

please bear in mind that system restore does not resolve any of these issues; if anything, things are getting worse............

Jester2K II 21:04 13 Sep 2003

Redownload - you have a corrupt copy.

bamfiesler 23:32 13 Sep 2003

ok, avg re-attempted and installed successfully. No viri, and still can't run anything from either the dvd drive or the cd/rw: every time I click on the drive, I am asked to insert the disc that is already in there!

I won't be able to install xp then, no?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?