PC goes into hibernation

pub 19:23 28 Mar 2007

Help,about 2 in 5 times when I switch on my PC,it starts as normal.Then when it gets to the Windows XP start up screen,it suddenly hibernates.The screen LED blinks and the green LED on the PC remains on.The only way I can reboot is with the PC power button.When it reboots I get a screen saying that any hardware or software changes could have caused this,with the run XP as normal highlighted.I press enter and usually things start as normal,but sometimes I have to do it a couple of times.I have fitted an extra hard drive recently,but everything seems ok with this (recognised as drive E).What could be wrong ?

woodchip 19:40 28 Mar 2007

Go into Device Manager to check for missing or wrong drivers. Look for yellow icon.

Device Manager===== Right Click MY Computer\Properties\Hardware\Device Manager

pub 19:48 28 Mar 2007

Thanks woodchip,I have done this and there are no yellow icons,everything appears to be fine.

woodchip 19:59 28 Mar 2007

If you have a Full XP CD put it in the comp and in run Type SFC /SCANNOW run the program

pub 20:36 28 Mar 2007

I only have the upgrade disc.Anygood?

Jackcoms 20:42 28 Mar 2007

"I only have the upgrade disc.Anygood?"

Yes.

And by the way, if, as you say, 'the green LED on the PC remains on', the PC is not hibernating.

pub 20:58 28 Mar 2007

Ok,I`ll try tomorrow and let you know.Thanks.

woodchip 21:19 28 Mar 2007

Recover CD is no good for SFC

pub 07:36 29 Mar 2007

I`ve just noticed that my hibernation box is ticked,should it be or not?

Jackcoms 18:01 29 Mar 2007

"I`ve just noticed that my hibernation box is ticked,should it be or not?"

If you want the PC to hibernate (i.e. power off) after a certain period of time (save energy, save the planet etc, etc) yes it should be ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?