PC Freezing and shutting down

Beani 21:36 27 May 2007

Can someone please help. Within the last few days my PC has suddenly started freezing and then shuts itself off. I'm wondering if its because I have Windows XP Proffessional, and I now know that it is not genuine. All I'm wanting to know is if I purchase a validation key will it fix the problem or is it something else. Any reply would be much appreciated. Thanks

birdface 21:50 27 May 2007

Probably nothing to do with the Validation.But once you have your computer working you will need to get it validated.It may be a Psu problem,Make sure all your air vents on the computer are clear of dust and fluff,And it may be worth while doing a system restore to a date before you had the problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 27 May 2007

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

p;3 22:49 27 May 2007

of interest, what makes you sure that your windows version is not genuine? and can you tell us what antivirus and other protection is on it as some of that might be clashing and causing it to stop working

Beani 17:36 31 May 2007

I'd just like to say thank you to all who replied. Thanks Again

p;3 17:43 31 May 2007

how have you sorted this; IS it sorted?

Beani 18:15 31 May 2007

Sorry, As I clicked in the 'resolved box' I thought it would show up and everyone would see it. Sorry about that, but to answer your question yes it did help and it 'appears' to be working fine now. Thanks Again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?